A Travellerspoint blog

Last Day In Barcelona

On Friday Grace and I got up and took the metro to Sagrada Familia. Let me just say, the Barcelona subway system is much much cleaner and easier to use than the New York subways. We got to see the inside of Sagrada Familia, which is even more incredible than the outside. It's beautiful and all of the details are so intricate. We also went to the top of one of the towers and got to see an amazing view of Barcelona. We took the elevator up about 20 floors but going down we took a really awesome narrow, stone, spiral staircase.

We asked a person of Asian decent who was carrying a large camera to take our picture, thinking she would know what she was doing. She practically had her head on the ground trying to "capture the light" from the stained glass windows...while we greatly appreciate her effort, this was the result...

In the afternoon we ate lunch at Bo De B, a delicious sandwich shop (thank you Blake and Gary) and did some more exploring around Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. We didn't mention it but we went to the Mercat St. Josep La Boquerie on Tuesday. It's a huge outdoor market off of Las Ramblas where they have fresh fruit and cheese as well as fish and different meats (mostly raw, some of which we didn't want to see, like the goat heads). The fruit and candy displays were so colorful and pretty though.

After being sick we were still craving something slightly American so we went to George Payne's Irish Pub for burgers. Not only did we get burgers, but we ordered the "American Burger," which came with ranch and guacamole. It was just what we needed and we felt right at home. We also tried Irish apple cider, which we both loved!

It was originally supposed to rain all day and I was bummed because I thought we spent our last nice day in Barcelona sick, but it ended up being a beautiful sunny last day!

Some friends of ours that were also in Barcelona met us at George Payne's and convinced us to go out since it was our last night and we hadn't gotten to do much. I also really wanted to go to Razzmatazz since Blake and Gary have been raving about it for almost a year. We had a great time and got home about 3 am. Our train was supposed to be at 7am. It didn't happen. We caught the 8:45 train instead, which meant we would only have 9 minutes to transfer trains in Cerbére (our first of three transfers to get to Nice). When we got to Cerbére we actually only had 4 minutes to transfer and had to run up the stairs to the other platform, which is not easy with a 40 pound backpack, and barely made it on the train. But once again, we made it so it was definitely worth the extra hour of sleep. We did have a mini crisis when Grace realized she left her rain jacket at the hotel, but they are hopefully mailing it to us in Cinque Terre.

We've realized that with a little bit of faith we can overcome almost anything...from food poisoning to forgotten rail passes and forgotten jackets to almost missing our train. We are still on our way to Nice but I have no doubt we will make it there.

Posted by cgeurope2013 02:09 Archived in Spain Tagged barcelona

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint